May 2, 2008

FOOD NAZI

This was a nickname i was given a couple years back when i lived in utah with my family. At the time, i had a couple members of my family on "nutrition programs." When i saw them eating "bad foods" that weren't a part of their plan, i made a comment, trying to steer them in the proper direction...right! I soon became aware of them hiding food from me and when they "cheated" they made SURE i wasn't around...thus the nickname.

So, for those of you who know me, i like eating healthy and figure everyone else should at least be aware & educated of the foods that are processed, enriched, refined, loaded with chemicals, lacking in nutrients, etc. ONLY so we as consumers can make more educated decisions about our food choices without being ignorant and at the same time create a more healthy lifestyle for ourselves. blah, blah. Anyway, to the point of my story....
So, Bryce loves eating pancakes for breakfast. He slathers them in loads of syrup. He ran out of syrup the other day &, of course, like the good health conscious wife that i am, i purchase a "natural organic" syrup (that tastes fabulous in my opinion). Well, Bryce's "Raidar" concludes that this organic syrup is unsatisfactory because it lacks the necessary hydrogenated oils & high fructose corn syrup that he so dearly loves.
Today when Bryce arrived home he did not enter in his typical boisterous, excited manner. He was more cautious, non-chalant. I peeked around the corner to say "hi," noticing that as he walked he had one arm hanging at his side, but his hand was hidden behing his back. I continued to cook dinner in the kitchen. He slowly & mysteriously made his way into the kitchen, over to the pantry, and out of the corner of my eye i noticed him placing something on the shelf. He acted odd and sneaky, but wasn't intending to do so. He then cautiously closed the pantry door and asked me how my day was.

I immediately opened the pantry door and discovered pancake syrup! The chemical crapy kind that Bryce worked SO hard to keep secret from me. Almost half the bottle was gone...what was he doing, hiding it in his car?! The effort he went through to make his breakfasts appetizing while keeping his wife happy was hilarious.

So, again the Food Nazi re-immerges.
I always think i'm being helpful, clarifying which foods are "good, or not so good for you." But, i see how that can be considered nazi-ish, especially when i don't "allow" certain foods in my house, and they have to be snuck-in. Hah! My poor husband!

9 comments:

Elise said...

I love this story! I had to re-tell it to Skyler and he loved it too. I want you to come live with me and tell me what not to eat. Right now I can rationalize if I am unsure if it is good. Plus, there is no one to monitor me. Skyler has better metabolism so he doesn't need to watch as much as I do.

Aleena said...

oh how I love the food Nazi. I can attest that it is true. Don't get me wrong I like to eat healthy, non- chemical foods, but you, you are on a whole differet level.

THe good news for me is that my husband is too lazy to get it himself. He eats what ever I put in his face!

Jessett said...

OMG! You are so funny. Mike and I were cracking up reading it. We wish I was a little like you. We think you are great... You and Bryce are so adorable together.

Ann Marie said...

Hey Sarah, you might not remember me, but I am one of Aleena's friends from high school. Now and then I wander over to your blog.

Anyway, I too am a food Nazi. I get super anxious about processed and refined "foods" that aren't really foods anyway. Have you read any of Michael Pollan's books. You and I have something called "Orthorexia". Seriously. We're obsessed with "correct eating."

Leenz said...

Hilarious! Bryce you can come over to our house and eat whatever you want!!!

the Eggett's said...

That is SO funny! Man, I need you to come to my house and give me a pantry makeover!

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Sarah, I so badly want to go grocery shopping with you . I try to eat healthy and it is just TOO expensive. So I end up going with the refined, chemically induced food. Sad. We miss you guys, can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

Photography by Evaly said...

That is so funny! I love the new look of your blog too.

Michael said...

Bryce, you know that I absolutely understand this scenario. It happens to me weekly in almost the same way. I feel for you brother. By the way, I was drinking a Coca-Cola as I read this entry. Also I am at work so I can drink this coke and my wife won't find out. Shhhhh!